In an attempt to consolidate, create efficiencies and safe taxpayers money, Arapahoe County Commissioners have created “Vote Centers” for our next election. On paper this sounds logical, but in reality will it work, and if it does, will it work everywhere?
For release: May 12, 2011
Contact: Nancy A. doty
Arapahoe County Clerk and Recorder
Arapahoe County Commissioners approve Vote Center concept
Clerk and Recorder will use Vote Centers for the 2011 November General Election
LITTLETON— On Tuesday, the Arapahoe County Board of County Commissioners approved a proposal by Clerk and Recorder Nancy A. Doty to use Vote Centers in the November 2011 Consolidated General Election.
The Board ofCountyCommissioners unanimously supported the Clerk and Recorder’s proposal, which calls for 17VoteCentersites where voters can cast their ballot by precinct regardless of where they live. The Commissioners’ approval was required byColoradolaw in order to use theVoteCentermethod in November’s general election.
“Our citizens recognize the changes that have taken place in our voting methods and the enormous cost of conducting elections,” Doty said, adding that 197 voting locations were secured and staffed for the 2010 General Election. “With roughly 80 percent ofArapahoeCountyvoters casting ballots by mail and less than 20 percent going to the polls on Election Day, Vote Centers are a proven answer to fiscally responsible government through the careful use of taxpayer dollars.”
With Vote Centers, staffing is cut and voting equipment needs are dramatically reduced.
“VoteCenters offer an added convenience and giveArapahoeCountyvoters more options to make sure their voice is heard,” she said. “For example, if voters live inLittletonbut work inAurora, they can choose to vote on their lunch hour instead of rushing home to vote before polls close.”
VoteCenters will be offered at the following locations:
- ArapahoeCentrepointPlaza,14980 E. Alameda Dr.,Aurora80012
- · Arapahoe County Elections Facility, 5251 S. Federal Blvd. Littleton 80123
- · Arapahoe County Clerk and Recorder’s Southeast Branch Office, 6924 S. Lima St. Centennial 80112 (opening in fall 2011)
- · Aurora Public Library South Branch, 15324 E. Hampden Circle Aurora 80013
- · Aurora West College Preparatory Academy, 10100 E. 13th Ave. Aurora 80010
- · Byers American Legion #160, 278 W. Front St. Byers 80103
- · Cherokee Trail High School, 25901 E. Arapahoe Road, Aurora 80016
- EnglewoodCivic Center,1000EnglewoodParkway, Englewood80110
- GrandviewHigh School,20500 E. Arapahoe Road,Aurora80110
- · Golf Club at Heather Ridge, 13521 E. Iliff Ave., Aurora 80014
- · Murphy Creek K-8 School, 1400 S. Old Tom Morris Road, Aurora 80018
- · Potters House of Denver, 9495 E. Florida Ave., Denver 80247
- · Rangeview High School, 17599 E. Iliff Ave., Aurora 80013
- · South Suburban Ice Arena, 6580 S. Vine St., Centennial 80121
- · Smoky Hill Library, 5430 S. Biscay Circle, Aurora 80015
- · St. Thomas More Catholic Church, 8035 S. Quebec St. Centennial 80112
- West Middle School, 5151 S. Holly St., Greenwood Village 80121
Prior to presenting the recommendation Tuesday, Doty solicited voter feedback through a variety of outreach methods, including a 15-day written comment period, meetings with the chairs of the political parties in Arapahoe County, presentations to community groups and an April 20 public hearing. Doty said she received 32 comments, of which, 26 supportedVoteCentersand six opposed.
“A strong organization structure will continue the integrity of our election. Kudos toNancyDotyand the Clerk and Recorder’s staff for doing their homework and reaching out to the community on this proposal,” said CommissionerSusan Beckman. “I’m excited to move forward with vote centers and I’m glad to see it happen inArapahoeCounty.”
All voters who have signed up to vote by mail will continue to receive their ballot in the mail. Doty encouraged all voters to consider the mail-ballot option, but for those who prefer to cast their ballot in person,EarlyVotingandVoteCenterare convenient options.
For more information or to see a description of the VoteCenterplan for the Nov. 1, 2011 Coordinated Election, visit www.arapahoevotes.com or call theArapahoeCountyElections Division at 303-795-4211.